Friday, February 6, 2009

Its the end of another week.  I had an interesting conversation with my therapist yesterday about how my creative practice works to help me face denial and thus face the truth.  That the artist in me is literally a processor of reality, which I have always known to be true- it has never been something on the side or a satellite of myself, its the very core of who I am and how I exist.  I have never had any choice about having a creative practice.  It has and will always be essential to my existence just like breathing and thinking.  Its the only way I can see who I am and I very much need to and want to see who I am.

I am amazed to find out (throughout my life!) that many many people do not really wish to see who they are.  It simply never occurs to them.  Mind-boggling to me!

I volunteer at a youth drop-in center once a week across the street from where I work and every single kid who walks through that door (usually they are walking through the door because they are in need of a place where they feel accepted for who they are, a safe place) has an incredibly rich imagination and is working to develop a creative practice (in whatever form it may take) to cope with their lives.  And let me tell you, these kids are so knowledgeable about themselves and are so wise about themselves in the world- I was never that aware at that age and most adults I know do not know themselves like these kids do.  Its such an amazing experience that I feel grateful to witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment