Saturday, February 7, 2009

Okie Dokie Artichokie

I love artichokes.  My room mate got me two yesterday.  I am very excited about preparing and eating them but mostly I love to marvel at their form, texture, color, how they grow, etc.  They remind me a little of sea creatures that somehow came to live on the land.  They also remind me of cacti which might be considered to be the opposite of a sea creature.  I can just look upon them and wonder for a long time with much pleasure.  

Plants invoke this in me, often.  I think that they really like to be looked at by us humans and, well, they are designed to attract in order to survive and multiply and I feel that call from them (maybe I was a bee in my previous life?).  I love to gaze upon plants more so than anything else in the world.  I think about nuzzling into flowers and falling asleep deep in there just like bees do sometimes in the hollyhocks.  I think that flowers exist partially so that us humans will look at them and adore them.  I can see them thriving on this kind of attention, often!  But they really like it when the bees and birds come into them, too.  For some reason I can just sense their incredible delight and its deeply voyeuristic of me, now isn't it?!

I remember eating artichokes with my friend Pam in Honolulu who turned me onto them.  We would have one for lunch, split it.  We would nibble our way down until we got to that buttery center that melted in your mouth and then we would split that, the grand finale.  It was a process and incorporated much interesting dialogue that was as compelling as the eating.  Even though Pam would roll her eyes and punch me if she read this, she really is a guru that I learned some really cool things from.  Including this whole artichoke business.

No comments:

Post a Comment